One Pink Toothbrush

Welcome to One Pink Toothbrush, where I will be posting moments from my days as a mum and as a wife. Funny moments, messy moments, thoughtful moments, teary moments.... and hopefully using each moment to see what God might be saying.



Thursday 6 October 2011

Feed The Birds

I had a nice healthy bowl of roast chicken soup for my lunch yesterday and decided to eat it as a Take Away. I put it on the banister at the top of the stairs, and as I carried the different piles of washing to the correct set of drawers, I had a mouthful each time I passed the bowl. A drive-thru of sorts.
It didn't take long for my littlest boy to realise that there was something worth following me for. So like a little chick in a nest, he opened his mouth every time I got to the banister. One spoonful for me, one spoonful for him, until the washing was put away and the soup was all gone.

It left me with a simple thought. My littlest knew there was good food on offer if he followed me and simply opened his mouth. I know that when I read the bible, when I feed on God's word, it doesn't just benefit me, but it benefits my children too. If I'm reading it and living by it, my children should see the benefits of it. I also know that there are times when we sit down and we feast on a meal, in the same way it is good to feast on the bible. But it is also helpful to feed on the go sometimes. I was able to eat and get the washing done, and occupy a little person. And I know that when I dwell on the word, while I'm still on the go, it blesses my day.


I learnt something else today, that birds can be loosely put into one of two types; Altricial or Precocial. The Precocial ones pretty much fend for themselves from birth, whereas the Altricial ones require nourishment and care for a long period of time. So my little chicks need Altricial care from me in lots of ways, they need me to care for their physical and emotional needs. But they also need me to nourish them with the things I learn from reading and feeding on God's word. I'm not about to chew up some worms and spit them into my boy's mouths, gross! But I do want them to learn from and be fed by what I am chewing on!


Jesus answered, "It is written: 'Man shall not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of God.'" Matthew 4:4

No comments:

Post a Comment