One Pink Toothbrush

Welcome to One Pink Toothbrush, where I will be posting moments from my days as a mum and as a wife. Funny moments, messy moments, thoughtful moments, teary moments.... and hopefully using each moment to see what God might be saying.



Monday 10 June 2019

Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

My daughter came home last week, and told me how I am killing all the sea turtles. I think she meant 'universally as people', but it came across as an accusation. For the record, I have never intentionally hurt a turtle. She explained that some turtles eat Jelly Fish, and if they find a carrier bag in the sea, they think it's a Jelly Fish, they eat it and then they get poorly and die! She spoke to me about all the plastic in the sea, and how there will be more plastic than fish soon! She had even learnt a song about it all. 

She had a school trip to the Sea Life Centre and got to see a turtle up close, which just added to her passion and accusation. Incidentally, I instagrammed a photo of the 13 plastic toothbrushes in use in our house, including some pink toothbrushes of course, with a question as to how many people actually lived here, and a friend of mine messaged me to tell me I was a turtle killer too. Mmm.... a recurring theme to the week! 
No one wants the title of turtle killer. I'm not Shredder!

So, I decided to listen to my daughter, not just listen to her, but actively show her that I was listening, that she had a voice, and that she can help to make changes. 
And of course, I used it as a teaching point, like most moments in life. 

I explained to her that in Genesis, Adam and Eve were commissioned to look after the Earth, and that she was fulfilling that commission, by wanting to take care of the sea and the turtles.

"The Lord God took the man and put him in the Garden of Eden to work it and take care of it". Genesis 2v15

I ordered some Bamboo toothbrushes on line, and when they came, I explained to the whole family that we were making some changes, starting with toothbrushes, because of something their sister is passionate about. I had another hurdle to get over, because she was concerned that I was taking the Bamboo away from the pandas! But we swerved that one, with an explanation about sustainable growth! 

I spoke to the family about the following verse;

"Don’t let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in conduct, in love, in faith and in purity". 1 Timothy4v12

Now actually this verse is about being an example to other Christians in how you act and speak, even if you're younger than the people you're being an example to. So I made that point, whilst practically using my daughter's new found education, and passion as an example about being an example. She had indeed found her own teaching point to bring to us. She also told me I shouldn't drive my car, I shouldn't buy one-use plastic water bottles, and I should put as much as I can in the black bin. I can only imagine she will find some more things to educate me on this week. Part of me is of course proud of her, and the other part of me wants to hide from her as she finds more teaching points to bring us. 
Maybe I'll build myself a a little house from the contents of the black bin!


No comments:

Post a Comment