One Pink Toothbrush

Welcome to One Pink Toothbrush, where I will be posting moments from my days as a mum and as a wife. Funny moments, messy moments, thoughtful moments, teary moments.... and hopefully using each moment to see what God might be saying.



Friday, 31 July 2026

It's a New Dawn, It's a New Day, It's a New Life for me...

So, all the family are at Newday as you may have seen if you've been keeping up with my many Instagram stories (in the highlights if you missed them). You can listen to this year's talks and seminars here if you're keen. Newday is Epic! 10,000+ young people finding out about God, being free to worship Him while having fun, staying up late, playing sports, dancing, creating, drinking milkshakes and not always showering. 

We did many many years at Newday with young kids. The husband and his team, being known for their antics with fish heads, slugs and oil, alongside dionsaurs fighting whilst hanging from the ceiling of the venue. I'm sure that team were the safety team's favourites. It was and still is highly planned, silly fun, followed by Gospel truths. One of my favourite moments was during a preach, and a kid just stood up unprompted because he wanted to give his life to Jesus, which set the precedent for other kids doing the same. It was beautiful. Another not so glorious moment, was a lady spotting some young lads running across bins and stating how dangerous she thought it was. She of course was right, but I didn't turn around because I knew exactly who those young boys belonged to. 

The prep is always a bit full on. Do the airbeds stay up? Do we have enough sleeping bags? What is on the kit list? Has everyone got a towel, a Bible, suncream, pants? Have I made enough lunches for the journey up there? And the little side chats to each person as they headed to Newday in different roles, only two of them as actual Youth; 'lead by example', 'be aware of those around you', 'don't be all-consumed by those around you', 'include others', 'you can't always care what everyone else thinks', 'you may feel lonely at times', 'the little one is in your care', 'siblings can be annoying even when camping', 'tired people can be grumpy people', 'everyone cries on the Wednesday'. And then off they went. And off I prayed, asking God to meet each of them where they're at and possibly not leave them there...

Coming home to a quiet house was strange and wonderul and weird and lovely. Eating cereal for dinner was tremendous. Not so much the cereal itself, although Weeatbix is amazing, but I think it was the 'not having to cook' headspace that was actually quite enjoyable. I didn't make any lunches or clear up midnight noodles. I watched TV at 7pm, just anything I wanted to watch. The morning was smooth, no one had lost anything, no one asked for money, no one needed waking up. I even snoozed my alarm a couple of times because I knew I could just get up and go, no lifts anywhere. I hopped on a train to London, popped in for a cuppa with someone and didn't even run out of milk. Even managed a visit to see my big bro and the fam. Bliss!

Don't get me wrong, the FOMO is real. The bigness of it all,  seeing little ones turn into bigger ones. The same people who give up a week or more to serve. I know what an incredible week it will have been. It's definately hard work for those serving the youth, but the reward is top level. You watch the kids relax as the week goes on, less 'too cool for school' and more 'going with the flow'. You watch people grow through the week, maybe letting go of some of their own insecurities, shaking off labels given to them, daring to believe what their Youth leaders or seminar speakers are telling them. You spot either that one kid that you know having a God moment or the hundreds you don't know, responding to God's call on their life and it brings you a joy that is incomparable. Whether you're at the event or your kids are at the event, your household or your church is at the event, we all get to share in the good of this week. Our prayer is that the effect of these last few days will shape our kids, our youth groups, our homes, our churches and beyond.

I'd quite like them all back now. The noise and chaos can return to normal. Can't wait to hear about it all.  I've had a lovely peaceful week which has been refreshing for me. I know for certain that Newday will have been awesome, with repercussions into eternity. 

"But the Lord said to me, "do not say, 'I am too young.' You must go to everyone I send you to say whatever I command you. Do not be afraid of them, for I am with you and will rescue you". Jeremiah 1v7

No comments:

Post a Comment