One Pink Toothbrush

Welcome to One Pink Toothbrush, where I will be posting moments from my days as a mum and as a wife. Funny moments, messy moments, thoughtful moments, teary moments.... and hopefully using each moment to see what God might be saying.



Wednesday 9 October 2019

#success

What does it look like, for a mum to succeed?
Maybe it’s looking like you’re never in need.

What does it look like, for a mum to succeed?
Is it accepting that help is what you do indeed need?

We look to the left, we look to the right,
Maybe I'm doing it wrong, and that mum is right?!

Or I’m the one nailing it, I judge, ‘what is she doing’?
She’s different to me, that shouldn’t be my undoing.

Maybe she’s thinking the same of herself.
Maybe she’s judging my health or my wealth.

Maybe you see a mum at the cafe,
She looks altogether, and her kids seem happy.
Who knows inside, if she’s feeling crappy.
And despairing of the imminent change of that nappy.

She does it that way, and I do it this…
Organised or spontaneously, we got through some kind of list
But we all end the day with our little ones kissed.
Some bits we got right, and some we just missed.

She had time to walk, she didn’t have time to breath
She had to book an appointment, she had to leave
She went for organic, with a spoon made of Bamboo
She sent a kid to school with only one shoe

Motherhood, it comes naturally to her,
Whereas for that mum, it's all just a blur.
She's got loads of kids, and her only one.
She's quite strict, whereas she's creative and fun.

She stays at home, and she works elsewhere,
Both mums here, are equal in care
Their little ones know that mum is trying
Their little ones maybe have seen mum crying

Crying with laughter because the kids are just funny
Crying with mental health struggles or money
Crying because its a lot to hold onto
Crying in relief because a cry was just due

She home schools, while she battles on the phone, 
She talks it out with anyone, whereas she does it alone
She speaks to a school, bangs her head on a wall
While she makes it up and feels like a fool.

They’re both in need of peace and rest
They’re both just trying to do their best

The problem with success is we look to the side,
To see if we’re better or worse, that’s our guide
Yet our eyes should be lifted, our hearts set above,
To see success was already achieved in love.

Christ is seated, He has sat down. It’s done.
A concept not known well of, to the busy mum.
What would it look like to just stop and sit?
Is anything actually finished? Is this really it?

But Christ is seated because what He came here to do,
He has indeed done, for me and for you.
Our life is hidden with Him, so what does it matter?
Why do we get bogged down with the matter?

God's grace is sufficient, His mercy is new
His faithfulness is unchanging, His goodness pursues you!

We need to have each other's backs
Us mums, we need to give where there is lack
An encouraging word, a nod, a smile,
A gift, or wine, even babysit for a while.

We need to look at our load through a new lens,
Reject some lies here and there and then,
Set our minds on Christ. Who are we, in Him?
Which should cause us to glow brightly, not be so dim

Dim with the lights out, cos we’re heavy and tired
Or dim cos we’re taking the glory from where it should be wired
It’s not about us, how well we are doing
It’s all for Him, that’s what we’re pursuing.

The Mother simply has a lot to do,
And questioning her actions isn’t anything new
Questioning our own worth is thrown in there too
Not forgetting to wonder, Help. What do I actually do?

How do I do it? What does he need?
Will she turn out alright; a hopeful plead...
How long does it take you to learn to read?
Have I done enough? Did I succeed?

Yet our biggest mistake is not what they ate
Not what we said, or if they got to school late.
It’s doing all the matter, in our own strength
While holding our maker way out at arm’s length.

Not abiding in Christ, Not abiding in Him
Not reading His word and hearing Him sing
And not stopping to listen to what He has to say
He says, “Fear not, this is the Lord’s day”.

“I am with you, to the ends of the Earth”.
“I never forget sparrows”, I know your worth.
“I am sat at my Father’s right hand”.
I’ve got you, and your beloved all in hand.

"My grace is sufficient, My mercy is new
My faithfulness is unchanging, My
goodness pursues you!

"Since, then, you have been raised with Christ, set your hearts on things above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God. Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things. For you died, and your life is now hidden with Christ in God". Colossians 3v1-3

1 comment: