One Pink Toothbrush

Welcome to One Pink Toothbrush, where I will be posting moments from my days as a mum and as a wife. Funny moments, messy moments, thoughtful moments, teary moments.... and hopefully using each moment to see what God might be saying.



Monday 8 May 2023

God Save The King

So, Friday was eventful. Took a little train up to London, to see how comfortable it would be to sleep on a picnic blanket, on the ground, on the Mall. Turns out, it wouldn't be very comfortable at all. If you add some rain, some waiting around, some noise, and a lack of toilets, tea and sleep, it really adds to that discomfort. But myself and a few others found ourselves there, for the coronation of King Charles lll.

It was wonderful to meet new people; a couple of Aussies who have never seen a Koala, a lady who has been everywhere and done everything it seems, a smiley chatty police officer, an American photographer, and some other interesting characters. People who spend the night on the ground, on the Mall, can be a little bit quirky. It's funny how you can just hit it off with the right people; enjoy an experience together, laugh a lot, try out each others accents and you have a new friend as a result. 

Of course, the strange thing about going up the night before, and camping out, is you actually miss a lot of the whole thing. From the comfort and warmth of your own home, with your own TV, near your own toilet, you can watch the preparations beforehand, you can get real close ups of the different family members and guests. You can see the service and the choir and all that is happening, while hearing historical facts, being given to you. Whereas, as we waited for the carriages and marching bands, we could only hear the service.

I was encouraged to hear of Charles being gifted a Bible; "the most valuable thing that this world affords". And I heard him make quite big pledges to God. I believe Queen Elizabeth II had a personal relationship with God, from things she has said and practiced over the years. I do hope and pray that Charles has followed in his mother's beliefs and practices of her faith. We must pray for him. 'God, do indeed save the king'.

After the service, we did get a front row seat of the parade. Well, by seat, I obviously mean a front row, soaking wet, long awaited stand. There were mere yards between me and the king; mere yards, two metal barriers, eight police officers, the king's guards, a footman or two, and a whole host of security. But still, close enough to see inside the carriage and a waving gloved hand. I was rather excited to see William and the kids. Gotta love how Louis is living his best life! (If he wasn't in line to the throne itself, I reckon Louis would be one of those quirky characters who would sleep on The Mall, the night before a royal celebration).

After the procession, I was able to walk down The Mall to Buckingham Palace, with thousands of other people. We got nearer and nearer. It was all rather joyous. With a little surge to the right, I saw in the far distance, a couple of gowned, crowned people, wave and walk through a door. I am to believe this was the royal couple themselves, as I'm not sure who else would have been up there, and I have since seen all the photos and videos to confirm my suspicions.

It's all a bit crazy really isn't it?! Spending money on a train ticket, and an expensive cup of tea, staying up all night, standing in the rain for hours, to get a glipmse of someone who doesnt even know I exist. I know I went for the experience of it all, to be there on the day it happened, and I thoroughly enjoyed myself. 

But as a believer in and follower of Jesus, I actually know that I can come to the true King of Kings, the one who every ruler will one day bow their knee to. And the best thing is, He knows my name. He knows who I am. I am important to Him, welcomed by Him. He knows what I love, what I struggle with. He cares about me. There is no barrier between me and Him. I can just come to Him. There's no one policing my approach to Him. There's no one guarding Him, with a Bayonet and a furry hat. Jesus paid so much more than a train ticket. He gave up so much more than a warm bed for the night. He gave up His life for me, not for a glimpse, a moment, but for a relationship with me. Because of what Jesus has done, taking the punishment for my sins, my wrong doings, because He has been perfect where I have not been, I get to confidently come to him, not as a servant, but actually as a beloved one. 


"Let us then approach God's throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need".
Hebrews 4v16





No comments:

Post a Comment